About the course:
Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) reports are prepared to identify and assess the probable impacts, positive or negative, on the various facets of environment from proposed developmental and industrial projects. Along with the EIA, an Environment Management Plan (EMP) is also prepared which details out the mitigation measures to minimize the negative impacts of the project on the environment. EIA together with EMP completes the report. EIA-EMP reports are required for obtaining environmental clearance for most of the projects in our country as per the EIA Notification of 2006 under the Environment (Protection) Act 1986.
Preparation of EIAs require knowledge about the concerned Sector of the Industry/ Developmental project and its environmental, ecological and social ramifications. These reports require multi-disciplinary inputs related to land use, air pollution, water pollution, noise and vibration, geology, hydrogeology, ecology, socio-economy etc. Thus, for preparation of EIAs, experts in 12 areas of expertise called Functional Area Experts (FAEs) are required. The person coordinating the study is called the EIA Coordinator (EC). QCI-NABET being the national accreditation body, developed an accreditation Scheme for EIA Consultant Organizations. The Scheme details out the expertise and facilities required by a consultancy organization wishing to conduct an EIA-EMP study and defines the criteria of assessment. The Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) mandated, first by an Office Memorandum on Dec 2, 2009 and then through a Notification dated March 3, 2015 that only consultants accredited under the QCI- NABET Scheme can prepare and present EIA-EMPs to the regulatory authorities for obtaining environmental clearances.
The courses ‘Air Pollution & Air Quality Modelling (AP-AQ)’ covers two expertise areas defined in the Scheme – Air pollution monitoring, prevention and control (AP) And Meteorology, Air quality modelling and prediction (AQ).
There are following 6 Modules in this course–
- Basics of atmospheric sciences and air quality modelling
- Rules and regulations applicable to AP and AQ in respect of EIAs
- Air pollution measurement and interpretation of baseline data
- Assessment of potential pollution generation (sources, quantities and concentration)
- Impact identification, assessment including modelling
- Air pollution prevention and mitigation
What you will learn:
The Modules while explaining the basic theoretical aspects, emphasize on the applied areas of the two functional areas. The various issues are explained with examples which will help you understand how these can be applied in the field.
Benefits of Certification:
- Equip the students to appreciate the applied aspects of this field and improving their chances of employment in the environmental related profession.
- Experienced experts may refresh their knowledge and skill
- Help Functional area experts (FAEs) in AP and AQ under QCI-NABET Scheme
Note: This 3 hour & 30 minutes course can be completed in 3 months.
Type of examination: It will be a computer based examination which will include multiple choice questions (MCQ). The said questions will be from the topics covered in the course.